Friday, December 2, 2011

Latte and Literature

By Lyn Howlin, Children's Literature Blogger
 
This year I have been privileged to be invited to a series of Latte and Literature afternoons.

These very social gatherings are held about every 6 weeks in a coffee shop.

Natalie with some of her many books.
Natalie, an ex-teacher, who now works in a book store, brings along the latest selection of children’s books. She has always researched them well and is able to give us a story outline and draw our attention to particular features in layout design, written or visual text.

The group who attends this very social gathering are a mixture of teachers, teacher-librarians and student teachers.

The books seem to provide a springboard for a great exchange of ideas and views. There are always wonderful discussions about other books by this author or illustrator and suggestions as to how this book may be used in the classroom to enhance teaching. Sometimes we just enjoy the book.

One of our student teachers, Kate Booth, keeps track of the books we discuss and adds further information about them on her Captain Flint blog. We also enjoy the latte (or milkshake in my case) and the getting together with like-minded people.

It really is a fun way to spend time sharing and learning more about the amazing range of children’s books now available.

Image taken by OzLyn and used with permission.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! What a wonderful way to spend the afternoon - chatting about children's literature (& having Latte!).

    It is much more beneficial to discuss literature with a group than flying solo...so many ideas spring up from the conversation. I think I don't often take the time to check out the 'new' books and fall back to the ones I'm comfortable with. I think I'll borrow this idea and see if I can gather a few friends to join.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea too, Lyn. The image of Natalie with the books and her drink is so peppy and fun. I can tell you all had a wonderful time.

    And, Nancy, that's just like you--seeing a fun way to learn and doing something about it! I didn't even think of arranging a literature and latte of my own, but now I have thought of it!

    Thanks to both Lyn and Nancy for the inspiration!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased to read you are both inspired to commence a similar gathering.I think this works well because Natalie is prepared to seek out the books and do some research before we meet.It really is wonderful being able to be exposed to what is new. I love the smell and feel of new books!
    I meet on a regular basis with fellow teacher librarians but over recent times the conversation inevitably turn to computers and the internet.
    With Literature and Latte, the conversation is just about books and for all the fun technology is, my passion is to have my young students switched onto books.

    ReplyDelete